Products are exported and imported in two parts
The product definition file has three variants: Full info, prices, and images.
These files are kept in an import/export working directory. They can be large and slow to upload, download, or generate and having the last file around for reference or for re-download can be useful. There is only one of each kept, sharec with all product catalogs, and if you want more than one you need to download the files to your PC. The files kept are:
- prodcat_full.xls – a product definition file with all information
- prodcat_prices.xls – a product definition file only price and 'onsale' status. This subset is useful or mass changing of prices.
- prodcat_images.xls – a product definition file only the image names. This subset is useful or mass changing of images.
- prodcat_images – a browsable directory of exported images
- prodcat_images.tar – a TAR archive of the exported images
- import_images – a browsable directory of images uploaded for import
The import and export format for product data is a plain text file with tabular data and deliminators. These are more commonly known as 'csv' or 'tsv' files. The file suffix is irrelivent – it is what is in the file that matters, not what the file is named. The suffix actually mostly works to give your computer a hint of what program to use to read the file. For example, the 'xls' suffix generally means "use the spreadsheet program" to edit this file.
Tip: if exporting end importing, just leave the file format alone. If you do not change the format all will be fine.
If creating the product definition file for the first time, use a spread sheet and "save as" a tsv file prior to import.