HotDoodle, via PayPal, supports automatic subscription payments.
- These are not a case where HotDoodle has your charge information and just reaches out and takes what we think we are owed.
- Instead, automatic subscription payments are where PayPal has your charge information and sends us $x every month, regardless of what charges you may have incurred. It is a payment schedule, not an open ended draft.
This has some basic limits and safeguards
- We do not have your charge information
- We cannot just ask PayPal to send us more
- We cannot change the payment schedule
- As far as information, PayPal lets us know when a payment has been made, or when a subscription failed, might be retried, or is cancelled, but that is it. We do not know WHY there was a problem, we do not even know if the source of funding is a credit card, a bank account, or ???. PayPal may be telling you, but they are not sharing this with us. All of that is confidential between you and PayPal.
When changes need to be made, or when additional payments are needed, we send you to PayPal payment screens.
So what can HotDoodle do?
With respect to PayPal, the only thing we can do is cancel the payment subscription. In a broader sense we do much more in that we offer a very generous 30 day grace period. Payment glitches happen for all sorts of reasons, and giving a generous grace period allows these to be worked out without panic and stress. We might end up giving away a month of hosting here and there but to us that is better than the disruptive impact to our customers of suspending services.